Last night was the Comadres, Compadres & Friends May Bookclub meeting in NYC. Our book this month was Kathy Cano-Murillo's WAKING UP IN THE LAND OF GLITTER. As I've mentioned before, it's a fun, fast read that inspires "craftiness." And, the group spent the night chatting about Star, Offie and Chloe, AND making our own bookmarks.
Check them out!
Oh, and here are our Bookclub Questions for WAKING UP IN THE LAND OF GLITTER:
1) How does the title relate to each of the women: Star, Offie and Chloe?
2) Use one word to describe each woman? Who was the most needy of the three?
3) How do the women grow by the end of the book?
4) Why was Star so scatterbrain? why do you think she never finished a project of her own?
5) How and why did Offie hide behind her craft projects?
6) How could "Crafty Chloe" deceive so many people? how did she hide behind her crafts?
7) Family is very important to Latinas. Describe each woman's family environment and how it helped or hindered them.
8) Chloe was a real piece of work, but did she deserve what Francis did to her? And does Francis get her own since she is now stuck with the loser boyfriend?
9) Theo or Harrison? Which do you like best? How did each complement Star?
10) What band do you think inspired Gustavo's Reggae Soul band?
Happy Reading! --mcf