September 5, 2011
REVIEW: BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (and Book Club Questions)
By Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Little Brown & Company
Official fansite: http://castergirlsandboys.com/
Move over Twilight fans, the Caster girls and boys are here.
Casters are the “beautiful people” that inhabit the world of Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl in their Beautiful Creatures series. There are Light Casters and Dark Casters ,and both their fates rest in the hands of Lena. She is the only thing that stands in the way of a supernatural civil war in the little Southern town of Gatlin, home to demons and danger.
BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS is book two in the series. It will take a bit to catch up on who is who and how this new mysterious world works, but once you get it you too will become a fan of this new world and its inhabitants. There’s Lena who has a horrible choice ahead of her -- She must choose to be either Light or Dark, knowing that whatever choice she makes will automatically annihilate the other. There’s Ethan, Lena’s boyfriend. He’s normal --he thinks -- but Lena has opened his eyes to a new, darker, mysterious world that has been going on around him. And now that his eyes are open, there is no going back.
Lena becomes depress after losing her beloved uncle, and knowing that the time to make her choice is almost upon her. Ethan cannot reach her and Lena grows more distant and begins to hang out with her darker cousins. But Ethan refuses to give up on her, and when she disappears, he follows her into the mysterious world beneath Gatlin, with his best friend, a nerdy keeper-in-training and a cat with a mind of her own. Soon the teens are caught up in a dangerous network of underground passageways, where nothing is as it seems, and everyone has a secret of their own.
BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS is a wonderful read. The reader is hooked from page one, even if they start with the second book. Garcia and Stohl have infused their series with passion, suspense and such emotional power that one can’t help but become a fan. And not only is book 3 and 3 ½ coming out soon, but there is a movie in the making. For more info, visit the official fan site at http://www.castergirlsandboys.com/.
BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
1) “Could you be happy if you woke up and suddenly you were no one special”—who said this and what do you think he meant by it?
2) What are some of the themes running through the book, aside from the obvious ones of loyalty and sisterhood?
3) Who is on a quest? Who rescues whom?
4) Did the magic and supernatural seem “natural?”
5) Use one word to describe each character—Lena, Ethan, Ridley, Link, Liv?
6) What is Lena’s curse?
7) Macon and Jane didn’t make it. Why should we believe that Ethan and Lena will?
8) Was Lena’s choice realistic? Did you expect another choice?
9) Is this book only for teenagers? Did you get it as an adult?
10) Did you notice no cursing, no sex, no drugs? Is this a new trend in YA?
11) This is book 2 in the series. Did you feel you missed anything by not starting with book 1?
DO LEAVE A COMMENT and let us know if you’ve read the book and are you following the series.