September 25, 2016
15 NOTORIOUS LATINO BOOKS TO READ DURING BANNED BOOK WEEK
So to Celebrate Banned Book Week (Sept 25 – Oct 1) and to Celebrate Our Right to Read, here are 15 “notorious” Latino Books that have been banned at one time or another for all sorts of reasons. We encourage you to add them all to your Library and read them in public. Happy Reading!
NOTORIOUS BANNED LATINO BOOKS
1. …And the Earth Did Not Devour Him by Tomás Rivera
2. Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez
3. Bless Me Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya
4. Down These Mean Streets by Piri Thomas
5. How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez
6. Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea
7. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
8. Loverboys by Ana Castillo
9. Mexican Whiteboy by Matt de la Peňa
10. Occupied America: A History of Chicanos by Rodolfo Acuňa
11. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Márquez
12. Rainbow Boys by Alex Sánchez
13. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
14. The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
15. The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
Celebrate Banned Books!
Celebrate Your Right To Read!
Celebrate Latino Books!