July 6, 2016
CUBA WEEK! 20 BOOKS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW FROM CUBAN AMERICAN WRITERS
The Latina Book Club is Celebrating Cuba this week.
Check out these books from Cuban American writers and / or with Cuban American protagonists.
There is a book for everyone from fiction to biographies to children’s books to romance to young adult.
Note this list is by no means complete, but it will get you started. Happy Reading!
BOOKS BY CUBAN AMERICAN WRITERS
1. A CUP OF WATER UNDER MY BED by Daisy Hernández (Beacon Press)
2. BURN BABY BURN by Meg Medina (Candlewick)
3. CUBA IN SPLINTERS: 11 STORIES FROM A NEW CUBA edited by Orlando Luis Pardo Lazo (OR Books)
4. CUBAN-AMERICAN, DANCING ON THE HYPHEN by Amarilys Gacio Rassler (SPS Publications)
5. DALIA’S WONDROUS HAIR by Laura Lacámara (Piňata Books/ Arte Publico Press)
6. EVERYONE LEAVES by Wendy Guerra (Amazon Crossing)
7. HOW TO LEAVE HIALEAH by Jennine Capó Crucet (St. Martin’s Press)
8. LA BELLE CREOLE by Alina Garcia-Lapuerta (Chicago Review Press)
9. LETTERS FROM HEAVEN by Lydia Gil (Piňata Books/ Arte Publico Press)
10. MORTIFICTIONS by Derek Palacio (Tim Duggan Books)
11. SOFRITO by Philippe Diederich (Cinco Punto Press)
12. DREAMING IN CUBAN by Cristina Garcia (Ballantine Books)
13. THE DISTANT MARVELS by Chantel Acevedo (Europe Editions)
14. THE MAMBO KINGS PLAY SONGS OF LOVE by Oscar Hijuelos (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
15. THE POET SLAVE OF CUBA: A BIOGRAPHY OF JUAN FRANCISCO MANZANO by Margarita Engle (Macmillan)
17. THE SKINNY YEARS by Raul Ramos y Sanchez (Beck & Branch Publishers)
18. TO LOVE AND SERVE (The Calling is Reborn series) by Caridad Pineiro (CreateSpace)
19. WE CAME ALL THE WAY FROM CUBA SO YOU COULD DRESS LIKE THIS? by Achy Obejas
20. WHITELIGHT by Vanessa Garcia (Shade Mountain Press)